- Kids this session
since start =
This is Frederick Douglass School IPS19’s first session of BOKS and the kids have had an amazing time. They love to get moving in the morning.
Frederick Douglass School IPS19 in Indianapolis launched BOKS in early February 2012 right before the Superbowl. On the first day, 72 kids showed up with lots of smiles and enthusiasm. The program led by the P.E. teacher, Julie Herdman typically runs the program Monday through Friday. She opens the doors to whoever can come. One day, they had 99 kids but they average 83 kids a day. The volunteers are all teachers who come in early one to two days a week to help out and get moving with the kids. The teachers have a great time interacting with the kids in a fun and energizing setting. One teacher volunteer said “It is great to see teachers and students starting their day together. Exercise sets the tone for the teachers and the students to feel accomplished and strong before the school day even begins. The BOKS program starts our day as a unified team in a positive way.”
Nice job Frederick Douglass IPS 19!
Builders and Crashers
The BOKS kids at Frederick Douglass School IPS 19 love all the games, but Builders and Crashers is a definite favorite. If you want to play this game at your school, follow these simple steps:
- Divide the class into 2 teams, Team Builders and Team Crashers
- Lay out all the cones randomly (some upright and others on their sides) throughout the gym or field
- Team Builders will turn the cones upright. Team Crashers will knock the cones on their side.
- After a few minutes, cue the children to freeze. See which team has more cones up or down.
- Play again, but this time, Team Builders is now Team Crashers and vice versa. You can repeat for as long as you have time.