Did you know BOKS children average 17 more mins per day of MVPA than non-BOKS kids?!
This is just one of the many great results we’ve found in our research with the National Institute on Out-of-School Time (NIOST). We’ve also found that children engaged in before-school physical activity were more physically active, including on non-program days. AND kids in the before-school physical activity program got 12-15% of their daily recommended steps.
BOKS has been working with NIOST to conduct a three year longitudinal physical activity study throughout five elementary schools in Natick, MA. The results have been amazing and we wanted to make sure to share the most updated information. With over 400 K-2nd grade students enrolled, our aim is to examine and document child-level learning related, social, nutrition, knowledge and physical activity outcomes associated with BOKS. The following documents will give you more details:
- BOKS Multiyear Research Study, Year 3 – JAN 2015
- Stepping Up to Better Health – OCT 2014
- Physical Activity Assessment of BOKS Using Accelerometers – OCT 2014
- NIOST/BOKS Multi Year Highlights – DEC 2013
- Examining the Benefits of Participation in BOKS – MAY 2013
- Study of the Association of Physical Activity with Positive Youth Outcomes – JAN 2013
Any questions? Be sure to add your comments below.